Philippine Ventures & Destinations

Read about business opportunities and interesting travel destinations in the Philippines. Learn from the experiences of seasoned Filipino entrepreneurs and business executives. Explore places where you can listen to music, watch cultural performances, and simply have hours of fun. Check out where and what to eat while in Metro Manila, on the road or in the provinces. The following essays contain personal insights on Philippine culture and life particularly in the provinces.

Name:
Location: Philippines

A statistics major, Leticia Subang spent the first 10 years of her professional career as an economic reporter covering for the Philippines' leading business paper. She later opted to become a free lance writer while working for her Masters Degree in Development Management. In the next ten years, she worked for a number of leading government agencies - the National Power Corporation, Public Estates Authority, Departments of Trade and Industry, Agriculture, Labor and Employment, and Energy.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Tinay and other honest Filipinos

The February issue of California-based Filipinas Magazine (www.filipinasmag.com) featured Cristina "Tinay" Bugayong, the 12- year old student who returned at least P 300,000 (US$6,000) worth of cash and checks accidentally dropped by a messenger. The celebrated case only disproves the common belief here in the Philippines is that once you lose something valuable, it is lost forever.

My own experiences show that ordinary Filipinos – in my case, a mechanic in a Caloocan machine shop, a waiter in a restaurant in Greenbelt, Makati and a taxi driver roaming around Metro Manila – would go out of their way to return valuables they unexpectedly find.

My first experience was in May 1985. It was raining and I was fumbling with my umbrella while my boyfriend (now husband) and I got off the bus at the corner of EDSA and Quezon Avenue. We boarded a jeep and in a few more minutes, we were in the University of the Philippines. Then I realized I lost my purse. Despite the rain, I went back to EDSA, desperately hoping to find it. I had a few hundred dollars in there, as I, then business reporter, was preparing for my first trip abroad.

A week later, an owner of a machine shop based in Caloocan called the office to inform me that one of his workers, who tried to call my attention when I dropped my purse, had turned it over to him. He assured me that his employee, who just went home to Quezon Province for the weekend, would drop by the office to return my purse.

Indeed, the mechanic had left my purse, my dollars intact, with the guard. He also left an assurance he would pay back the loose bills – amounting to P80 – which he used to pay his fare to Quezon. I called his boss and said the mechanic need not pay me back. I owe him more than that.

Sixteen years later, in April 2001, I met an honest waiter. We were having a despedida dinner for one of our officers. Since our office was just across the street, I left my bag and decided to just bring my wallet with me. The dinner at Jade Garden, a Chinese restaurant in Greenbelt, went well.

I realized I lost my wallet only the day after, when I needed to buy something for my children.

Our secretary called the restaurant to inquire if they had, by chance, found a brown wallet. After confirming some of my personal details, the cashier confirmed that one of their waiters found it. I was assured I could pick it up anytime. As she handed the wallet back to me, she asked me to inspect it. No need, I said. I was sure the P12,000 I had was intact.

Too bad, in these two separate occasions, I did not have the chance to personally meet and thank those honest people.

The third was my encounter with an honest taxi driver in 2003. I decided to take a taxi after the air conditioning unit of our van conked out. As I boarded the taxi, my cousin, who drives for the family, reminded me of the leather bag with a laptop that I was carrying.

I got off in front of the restaurant, just right across my office in Makati, for a quick lunch. As I entered my room, I realized I did not have the bag and the laptop – a top-of-the-line Toshiba Portege, a personal unit of my boss, then Trade and Industry Secretary Mar Roxas, who lent it to me. I remembered only the name of the taxi – Lulu – and nothing else. I called the taxi’s office but without the body number, they could not possibly identify the driver. Our media relations staff called the leading radio stations for a “panawagan.”

I was hopeful – Mr. Roxas’ name and contact details appear on the screen once the computer is turned on. A week later, as my hopes of getting back the laptop started fading, I got a call from Mr. Eddie Mayor, the pastor of Home Missionary Baptist Church in Mayamot, Antipolo. The driver, Ronald Diendo, sought his advice and requested him to contact our office. He said Ronald would bring the laptop to my office that same afternoon. I asked Mr. Mayor to come along.

The next passenger actually picked up the bag as she was getting off his taxi, Ronald later told me. But he remembered me, his passenger who boarded earlier in Katipunan. “Hindi sa inyo yan ah,” he confronted the woman who was then holding my bag. The woman immediately gave it back to him. His next passenger who claimed to be a computer technician offered to buy the computer but Ronald decided to seek the advice of Mr. Mayor instead.

After all these experiences, I am convinced that despite what we read in the newspapers, see on TV and hear on the radio everyday, the ordinary Filipino is basically an honest person. I hope our political leaders will follow their examples. May Ronald’s and Tinay’s tribe continue to multiply.

(Incidentally, I lost $4,000 sometime ago in Schipol Airport in Amsterdam to two young men who were pretending to help me in the left luggage section.)

Google

47 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hey! Very Nice! Check out this website I found where you can make extra cash.
It's not available everywhere, so go to the site and put
in your zipcode to see if you can find something. I found something and make
and extra $900 a month!

http://www.degree-programs-online.info/extramoney.htm

2:46 PM  
Blogger Paul Farol said...

Four thousand dollarses?

That's a lot of money na pang-inum na sana... wekekekeke!

11:23 AM  
Blogger walterammons0443709623 said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

12:12 PM  
Blogger barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

9:44 PM  
Blogger 草莓 said...

要持續更新下去喲!!期待~~..................................................

8:24 PM  
Blogger 遊樂園 said...

當你真心渴望某一樣東西,整個宇宙都會聯合起來幫助你。 ....................................................

2:44 PM  
Blogger 甜蜜滋味 said...

脫衣走光色情自慰自拍成人全裸打炮打手槍打飛機巨乳巨奶女優大奶性交性愛淫蕩淫慾淫亂淫婦淫妹淫叫淫水淫女情慾情色做愛限制級波霸口交18禁貼圖寫真視訊

5:01 PM  
Blogger 火吟 said...

Since it is the early worm that gets eaten by the bird, sleep late.............................................

5:15 PM  
Blogger 婉婷婉婷 said...

how do u do?................................................................

9:19 AM  
Blogger 水憲妤慧 said...

培養健全孩子最好的方法是父母先成為健全的人。......................................................

5:08 PM  
Blogger 明偉誠秋 said...

great msg for me, thanks a lot dude˙﹏˙

8:06 AM  
Blogger 逸凡逸凡 said...

上床圖片av圖片免費色情圖台灣性網陰蒂淫妹貼圖色情激突成人論壇成人色情網激情成人聊天室情色影音鹹濕女生自慰影片淫慾自慰色情a片成人色情圖片網情人視訊網成人話題成人色情台灣成人淫蕩a圖片情色留言板女生奶頭情色成人全裸美女圖片情色寫真裸體照大奶子台灣色情成人網站一夜正妹美女裸體寫真g罩杯美女sex520情趣娃娃視訊打槍視訊辣妹uthome淫亂走光照av情色網女生高潮成人自拍火辣眉眉太太陰毛美女視訊聊天全裸入鏡火辣av三點全露

2:57 PM  
Blogger WillyA安恬 said...

Knowledge is power...................................................

4:44 PM  
Blogger 賢淑淳林 said...

與其爭取不可能得到的東西,不如善自珍惜運用自己所擁有的........................................

4:06 PM  
Blogger  said...

may the blessing be always with you!! ...............................

11:45 AM  
Blogger Hunter Brumfield said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:54 AM  
Blogger 靖綠 said...

真正的愛心,是照顧好自己的這顆心。.............................................

8:23 AM  
Blogger 健豪 said...

Make hay while the sun shines.........................................

11:16 AM  
Blogger 雅婷 said...

所有的資產,在不被諒解時,都成了負債......................................................

7:05 PM  
Blogger 又陽 said...

Knowledge is power.............................................................

7:32 PM  
Blogger TodRaine1025 said...

好棒的地方 我一定要常來~~~^^~........................................

6:16 PM  
Blogger 政倫政倫 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的..................................................................

1:02 PM  
Blogger 淑慧 said...

去冬眠以前,臨去秋波一下~~大家順利!!!.................................................................

2:01 PM  
Blogger 茹順茹順 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。.................................................................                           

8:53 AM  
Blogger 李哲維 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。......................................................................

8:53 AM  
Blogger 孫陽泉 said...

一個人的價值,應該看他貢獻了什麼,而不是他取得了什麼....................................................................

8:53 AM  
Blogger 韋以韋以 said...

上班好累哦,看看部落格轉換心情~~~先謝謝啦!!.................................................................                           

2:44 PM  
Blogger 于庭 said...

幸福不是一切,人還有責任。............................................................

2:44 AM  
Blogger dawsonfelicia張君dawsonfelicia均 said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。............................................................

9:44 AM  
Blogger 蕙春蕙春 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

2:48 PM  
Blogger 淑娟淑娟 said...

好文章就值得回響,如果可以常常看到您的更新,應該是件很幸福的事情~~............................................................

2:33 PM  
Blogger 許紀廷 said...

人生中最好的禮物就是屬於自己的一部份

7:26 PM  
Blogger 亦妮亦妮 said...

時間可證明一切~你的BLOG是我覺得不賴的............................................................

10:07 AM  
Blogger 伯函 said...

我的老天爺~內容真是太棒了..................................................................

6:03 PM  
Blogger 承蘋承蘋 said...

天下沒有意把鑰匙,可以打開所有的門............................................................

10:39 AM  
Blogger 陳璇竹陳璇竹 said...

blog is great~~祝你人氣高高~..................................................................

7:17 AM  
Blogger RicoLisi0802志竹 said...

一棵樹除非在春天開了花,否則難望在秋天結果。............................................................

8:20 PM  
Blogger 家唐銘 said...

人類的聰明,並非以經驗為依歸,而是以接受經驗的行程為依歸。..................................................

9:37 PM  
Blogger 劉林育雅嘉韋 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。......................................................................

8:29 AM  
Blogger 陳梁雅雯宗翰 said...

IT IS A VERY NICE SUGGESTION, THANK YOU LOTS!............................................................

8:30 AM  
Blogger 家唐銘 said...

愛,拆開來是心和受兩個字。用心去接受對方的一切,用心去愛對方的所有。......................................................................

8:30 AM  
Blogger 雅王任 said...

謝謝原PO的熱情分享 大家也要一起分享喔 感恩(≧ω≦)............................................................

12:14 AM  
Blogger 凱許倫 said...

友誼能增進快樂,減少痛苦......................................................................

5:08 PM  
Blogger 黃智樺黃智樺 said...

絕不要羞於承認自己不知道的事。..................................................

10:01 AM  
Blogger 瑜陳陳陳陳真 said...

Quality is better than quantity...................................................................

5:04 PM  
Blogger 怡靜怡靜怡靜怡雯 said...

愛看您的新文章!加油!..................................................................

5:59 PM  
Blogger 怡靜怡靜怡靜怡雯 said...

快樂,是享受工作過程的結果......................................................................

11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home